The latest trend is dressing head to toe in one color hue. That trend has trickled over into prints — and plaid is where it’s at! Take the monochromatic trend to the next level with this look and elevate it even more with some fiery embroidery.
Choose a Sewing Pattern
Jacket Sewing Patterns
- Jasika Blazer by Closet Case Patterns
- Plus-sized Blazer by BurdaStyle (#127 08/2018)
- Aava Tailored Blazer by Named Clothing
Blouse Sewing Patterns
- Western Blouse by BurdaStyle (#119 02/2010)
- Archer Button Up Shirt by Grainline Studio
- Plus-sized Button Up Blouse by BurdaStyle (#129 11/2015)
Find complementary plaid fabrics in various weights, and grab a different plaid for each piece of the mix-and-match plaid look! You’ll also want to pick up an extra yard of each for matching the plaid stripes.
While you’re at the fabric store, pick out some embroidery thread colors that will stand out on your plaid fabric and choose a fiery dragon to embroider on the chest of your blouse pattern.
It might seem overwhelming to try embroidering on plaid, but there’s nothing to be afraid of! Don’t let this machine embroidery trend pass you by.
Header Image: Plaid and Style Inspiration from Getty. Dragon Embroidery Pattern from Urban Threads.