Creative Machine Embroidery Magazine: New Changes Are Coming!

If you subscribe to Creative Machine Embroidery, you may have noticed that your March/April issue hasn’t arrived yet and you may be wondering what’s going on.

cme logo transparent Creative Machine Embroidery Magazine: New Changes Are Coming!As we reviewed our upcoming year, we decided to make some changes to the schedule that give us the chance to provide even better inspiration, techniques and fun embroidery projects.

Trench 682x1024 Creative Machine Embroidery Magazine: New Changes Are Coming!

Specifically, we’ve decided to reduce the number of issues we publish per year from six to four, and tie those issues to the seasons and most popular events and holidays throughout the year.

As a result, there won’t be a March/April issue this year; instead, we’ll be releasing a Spring/Summer issue, which will be on newsstands starting April 16 and arriving in subscriber’s mailboxes in early April. The next issue will be released on August 13, and it will be our Halloween issue.

pillow e1549644439166 278x300 Creative Machine Embroidery Magazine: New Changes Are Coming!Speaking of subscribers — if you are one, don’t worry; you’ll still get all the issues you paid for — it will just take a little longer!

Stick with us as we navigate these changes. We’ve got some great projects coming us that we think you’ll love. The images featured in this post are previews of the Spring/Summer issue — enjoy!

Shoes e1549644560498 1024x888 Creative Machine Embroidery Magazine: New Changes Are Coming!

This entry was posted in CME Issue and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Creative Machine Embroidery Magazine: New Changes Are Coming!

1. Selise Carden says:

Please don’t pee on my leg and tell me it’s raining. There is no senario where I pay for 6 issues and you delete it to 4 and I am stupid enough to accept the lamest “don’t worry you will still get all your issues. It’ll just take a little longer”. How insulting. And shame on you.

• Kate says:

Hi Selise! You paid for six issues, and you’ll get six issues — four in 2019, and two in 2020 before your subscription runs out.

• Rose says:

This is actually a reply to the original post, but I couldn’t find a link for that. Unfortunately for me, I did not see the post regarding the change until just after I had renewed my subscription for a two year period. Had I seen this post first, I would have held off until July when my subscription expires or possibly would not have renewed at all. Is it possible to cancel the renewal I just submitted and not have my credit card processed or to get a credit return?

2. Dori Cheslock says:

I am so sad to hear that this is happening! When magazines do this sort of thing, it usually is indicative of more bad things to come. I know you would like to sugar coat it by saying how “wonderful” this is: better inspiration, techniques and fun embroiodery. But really, this is just the customer having to do without. I so looked forward to receiving my magazine!! It’s not like this is a quilt mag, when their are at least 6-8 of them available. We have just 2 machine embroiodery magazines available to us. Here’s a thought, how about on the months that we would have received our magazine, we receive some free designs. At least that is something to look forward to.
    Dori Cheslock
    Dori3142@gmail.com

3. Jean Murphy says:

I’m not at all happy about this change! I look forward to my magazine so much. I do understand though. Thanks for a wonderful magazine!

Sincerely, Jean

• Jill says:

We very much appreciate your understanding. It wasn’t long ago when every issue was at 50 pages. We increased to 70, there is an ebb and flow to this business. We are very happy to be able to continue to deliver to you the content and contributors that you love, but for now in a smaller way.

4. Zann Liljegren says:

By my calculations we have 4 seasons. You have just described doing 2 issues per year, not 4 so that is even less than you are claiming. Sounds like you are in trouble as a publication but I have liked the magazine and I hope you can pull this off and save this resource for us.

• Kate says:

Hi there! After the spring/summer issue, we’ll go into a cycle of fall, winter, spring, and summer going forward. We’re doing a spring/summer issue this year just because the January/February issue was released in 2019 before the change was finalized. There will be a total of four issues in 2019.

5. Norma Peck says:

So will the cost of a subscription be going down as there are only 4 issues instead of 6. I was going to order a subscription today, but now I’m thinking not the best idea.

Thanks for your reply

• Kate says:

We’re waiting for final confirmation of the yearly subscription going forward, but I’m sure it will be going down, yes.

6. Peggy says:

Once again we are loosing another source of inspiration in the sewing world . I don’t quilt so I really enjoy reading my sewing magazines. Yours has been my favorite for many years. We will have to see how your new format works for those of us who subscribe.

7. Mary Martinez says:

Hi Selise
    I agree we pay for 6 magazines we should get 6 in a year not 2next year . Who knows if you quit publishing it will we get our money back ? I so look forward to it every other month and I’m sorely disappointed since you’ve decided this without letting us have a decision on it . I would rather see more than less.

8. Bonnie Wood says:

If you are publishing a spring/summer issue for April and a Halloween issue in August where are the other 2 issues for 2019?? Are the magazines going to be bigger? I really look forward to your magazine and am disappointed that I will get fewer issues.

9. LaRue Jones says:

I still think it STINKS! It’s like ice cream cartons that now sell less than half gallon cartons for a higher price than the old half gallon. WHO ARE YOU KIDDIN!? MY LAST ISSUE will be the last magazine on my subscription. Thanks a whole lot.

10. Clara Blais says:

Disappointed in the changes you have decided to make but I can live with it. However I’m miffed with your lack of courtesy to your customers – I don’t always read this blog – a note in the mail or an email to me personally to let me know of the changes would have been much appreciated. This lack of customer appreciation and courtesy Is what causes so many businesses to falter nowadays.

11. Suzanne says:

I’m afraid I agree wholeheartedly with the other responders. NOT happy! I used to subscribe to several British magazines, since we lived there for four years some time ago, then one of them did this. Instead of 6 issues, which I really didn’t enjoy as much as 12, they reduced it to 4. (I know it’s easier on you to do fewer issues, having worked on a magazine in the past – with 12 issues a year – but it’s really not fair to readers who have so few publications to enjoy!) I think readers would rather pay more for subscriptions and get more issues. Monthly would be amazingly wonderful. But fewer issues? You’ll probably lose a lot of subscribers.

• Jill says:

We’re sorry you’re not happy. We would love to be able to give you 12 issues a year. Unfortunately, there are many factors involved that make it impossible at this time. This industry has fluctuations just like any other and sometime down the road maybe we’ll get back to that. As for now, we are working hard to deliver a magazine with contributors and projects that our fans and readers love.

12. Marjorie Anderson says:

In comparison to other publications in quilting and sewing, this publication has always seemed to me to be rather short. It seems thinner each time. I would hope that by going to 4 issues ( not at all happy about that and suggests problems with perhaps more to come) we will see more content for our money. I would expect at the least to see 6 issues worth of content in the 4 issues.

13. Nancy Rayburn says:

I love your magazine. I love doing some of the project in them. Some are not my style, but it’s ok. I don’t like your website to me I can’t get around in it but I am not good on the computer. So please keep the magazine coming to my home so I can read and reread it and enjoy doing the project

14. Char says:

I love CME. Your contributing designers are so talented. Thanks for working out the issues to keep the magazine coming to us.

• Jill says:

Thank you so much for your kind words. These decisions are not made lightly and certainly not to make people mad. The print industry is very tough business indeed. We still will work hard to deliver you great content with the contributors and projects that you love.

15. Susan K Johnson says:

I’ve been a subscriber since the very beginning when it was 13 issues a year and have every issue. It’s time to renew, I think not.

16. Jean Lowenberger says:

I do not consider this good business practices. All of us when we signed up wanted and expected six issues NOT four. I would guess, for those of us that look forward to your publication we will think long and hard about renewing our subscriptions.

17. Susan says:

I agree with everyone else. Why is there not going to be 4 seasonal issues this year if that is the plan? We should be getting one for spring, summer, fall, and then winter. Not spring/summer and fall/winter. That is not what we’ve paid for. Very disappointed!

18. Maureen DiNicola says:

Am very disappointed. Don’t sugarcoat it we are not stupid! I’m even willing to pay a dollar more per issue and get the 6 issues but 4 issues does not cut it. Thinking of canceling my subscription. You better get back to your drawing boards.

• Jill says:

We’re sorry to hear that. We work very hard behind the scenes to deliver to you a great magazine with the resources and time that we have. Through out the lifetime of our sewing magazines we have had ups and downs just like any print magazine does. We still, and always will offer great freebies, content and contributors.

19. Anita Anello says:

I am concerned about your reorganization as well. I teach high school sewing and subscribe at school and I have a personal subscription. I am trying to keep an interest in fashion, sewing, embroidery, knitting, crafts and even 3D printing. My students love your projects. I hope the situation turns around.

20. Designer Joi says:

I am going to chime in with a little different view. I agree with many of the comments here as far as how this was done, but there is an overall bigger problem in the sewing industry. Everyone wants everything FREE. There is so much junky Free stuff out there that while you lovely folks want the magazine and will pay for it, others will not. It is a business decision. I know that side of the industry and some of the changes, but these kind of changes are happening in sewing machine companies, fabric and more . . .

There is a devaluing of content/quality on both the industry side as well as the consumer side which is making it difficult for companies/products to stay in business. The magazines are great! I myself have over 20 subscriptions to various sewing and non. I LOVE print media. It CAN still survive, but people need to pay for it. With all the FREE out there, people are not willing to pay. We are training ourselves to want free. While there is good stuff free online, there is a lot of clutter which again devalues those with skills and solid content. I mean you all are embroiders. You have seen solid beautifully skilled designs and then there are lesser quality ones that take away from companies that have skilled artists.

On the industry/company side of things many are seeking only those with a large audience with hopes of that benefiting them, but what they don’t realize is that a majority of those large social audiences are there for the FREE giveaway of content. There is a limit of how much quality will be given away free. Whereas, in a magazine they are dedicating time to presenting a polished product usually working with skilled people that know their craft.

Anyway, I hope the magazines will come back, but it looks grim. Support your local stores and support products and brands you want to keep around or many will fold not only magazines. This is happening in the fabric industry big time!

21. Ann Fiala says:

I too, am very disappointed that you are going to 4 issues. I have subscribed since the beginning (13 issues) and quit when it got thinner and fewer (6 issues), then subscribed for a while again. Now I will probably just not renew when my subscription runs out. My granddaughter is a high school English teacher and takes time to explain the ups and downs of your industry and people quitting just push the print world out of business that much sooner. It is too bad, but those of us on fixed incomes need to watch where our $$ go.

22. Claire Fanning says:

I am a new subscriber and I have already communicated with CME as you missed sending my first issue (apparently is being resent although not yet here.) Now it sounds like I won’t be receiving an issue until April. It’s disappointing and not a great start with this magazine.

23. Susan says:

Hi again.
    Like everyone I’m disappointed with the change. As human being we all struggle with change at times – it’s a normal reaction. We struggle because it often means we have to make some changes of our own to adjust to the new situation. At least with this change we can still continue to receive the great content we all enjoy (although not as often as we have come to expect) and we can continue with the craft that we all love so much. I’m sure it was a very difficult decision for the magazine staff to make. It affects everyone who works at CME as well as us the readers. I just want to say that I’m sorry things have taken a turn and hope that this is a temporary shift. With any luck, some creative thinking, and maybe a little prayer CME will become bigger and better than ever! Good luck with the new direction. I hope you can feel the love that is really mixed in with all the disappointment you are receiving from your readers. We are disappointed because we love CME!

24. Miranda says:

I received my subscription as a Christmas gift. My first issue thrilled me. I have stitched out the free projects and the heart wreath is still hanging on my wall. My daughter is planning on sewing the cat purse for her sister’s birthday. The key fob and coin purse will accompany that gift and more. I want to tell you that your magazine is great and I am so happy to have received the subscription as a gift.

May I make one suggestion for your ‘Halloween’ issue? I do not celebrate nor do we decorate for Halloween, but we enjoy other fall celebrations like Thanksgiving. Can you please make sure to include fall themed projects and even some early Christmas projects in that issue that would help us get a head start on home made presents?

Thank you for your consideration. I am happy to support your magazine and support your contributors by purchasing their quality designs.

• Kate says:

Thank you for your kind words! Don’t worry; we’ll definitely include some general and fall-themed projects in the Fall issue!

25. Phyllis Kessler says:

I have a two year subscription. How many magazines will I get?? This is very confusing. First 4 issues a year, than its Spring and Summer with later on Fall. Then will we get Winter?? So why haven’t you sent out emails to your customers telling everyone what’s going on??? Here it’s he ending of March and I remembered NO new issue. I go to your website and can’t get into my account. Click on customer service is a no go. I had to ask the internet if your going out of business to get to this website.

Where do I go to get my money back???

• Kate says:

If you have a two-year subscription now, you’ll actually be getting three years! When you subscribed, you subscribed for twelve issues total. You’ll still get all twelve, but instead of 6/year for two years, you’ll be getting 4/year for three years.

Our website has gone down a few times in the past few weeks, which may be why you weren’t able to access your account. You can email our subscription customer service at creativemachineembroidery@emailcustomerservice.com with more questions or to inquire about cancelling your subscription.