Create bottle koozies by repurposing a men’s shirt and outfit your guests with personalized drinks for the big game.
by Susan Clark
- Button-down shirt
- Thread: matching all-purpose
- & embroidery
- adhesive-backed stabilizer
- Water-soluble topper
- Rotary cutting system
- Removable fabric marker
- Prewound bobbin
- Needles: size 80/12 universal
- & 75/11 embroidery
- Serger (optional)
- Dad’s Ale embroidery design
• Install a size 75/11 embroidery needle onto the machine. Insert a prewound bobbin and thread the needle with the desired embroidery thread.
• Hoop a piece of stabilizer with the paper side up. Score inside the hoop using a pin, and then remove the paper backing.
• Place the shirt flat on a cutting mat. Cut each cuff from the shirt 3˝ beyond the cuff seam (A).
• Unbutton the cuff and fold it in half lengthwise with wrong sides together, matching the cuff edge and wrist seam. Draw a line along the fold; unfold. Fold the cuff in half widthwise; mark the cuff center at the line intersection.
• Position the cuff in the hoop, aligning the cuff and hoop centerlines. Finger-press gently to adhere.
• Download the chosen embroidery design. Load the design onto the machine and center it over the mark.
• Place a piece of topper over the cuff center mark; embroider. Remove the cuff from the hoop. Following the manufacturer’s instructions, remove the excess topper.
• Set the machine for standard sewing. Install a size 80/12 universal needle and thread the machine with all-purpose thread to match the cuff.
• Trim the cuff raw edges 2˝ beyond the wrist seam. Button the cuff, and then turn it inside out. Fold the cuff so the buttoned seam is centered over the embroidery.
• Stitch the raw edge using a 1/2˝ seam allowance and a 2.5mm-long stitch (B). Serge- or zigzag-finish the seam.
• Fold one cuff side edge to align with the lower seam. Stitch across the triangle 1˝ from the point (C).
• Serge- or zigzag-finish the seam. Trim the seam allowance just beyond the stitching (D). Repeat to stitch the remaining corner.
• Turn the cuff right side out and insert a bottle.
• Repeat to create a bottle holder from the remaining cuff. §