Welcome to the first Creative Machine Embroidery Magazine Mystery Sew-Along post!

MysterySewAlongLogo3 Mystery Sew Along Part 1: Introduction, Supply List, Free Design & Pattern Download

REVISED CUTTING INSTRUCTIONS (2/18/2016)

Usually we’d post a photo of the finished project, but since this is a mystery project that’ll be completed and revealed over six blog posts, let’s keep things a secret for now. This post will contain the pattern that you will need to download, one free design and we’ll go over the supply list again.

First, download the revised mystery project pattern. If you are unfamiliar with working with e-patterns, please look over this handy sewing e-pattern print out tutorial.

Next, download the first of six free embroidery designs.

1 Arrows 150x150 Mystery Sew Along Part 1: Introduction, Supply List, Free Design & Pattern DownloadThis design is yours for free but is not needed in this project. Use it however you would like!

A note on digital embroidery designs. The following design formats are included: exp, hus, jef, pcs, pec, pes, vip and sew. Included in the zip file is an image of the design as well as thread count and spec sheet.

To extract the files, click the link to download the design files and save them to your computer.

Transfer the correct design file extensions (designated by your machine brand) to your embroidery machine using a USB drive or the cord that was provided with your embroidery machine.

Let’s get started!

Last month we shared the supply list with you, but to recap, you need: cotton duck fabric, a cotton print, heavyweight fusible interfacing and heavyweight cut-away fusible stabilizer. You also will need thread, needles and a few accessories such as zippers and D-rings.

Print out the project pattern, cut it out, and then tape it together, lining up the dots. From the duck cloth, cut one front panel, leaving 1” around the entire rectangle perimeter. This front panel will be embroidered, and then trimmed down. The excess fabric will ensure the design stitches out entirely on the fabric.

From the duck cloth, cut:

• One upper-front panel and one upper-back panel (use the “Upper Front Panel” pattern piece to cut both pieces. Designate one piece as the Upper-Front Panel and the remaining piece as the Upper-Back Panel.)
  • One front-zipper panel
  • One strap
  • Four zipper panels
  • Two handles
  • Two strap tabs
  • Four handle tabs
  • Four handle ends

Transfer all the pattern marking using a chalk wheel or removable fabric pencil.

From the heavyweight interfacing, cut:

• Two front-side panels
  • One front-zipper panel (Trim the upper and lower seam allowance from interfacing before fusing to corresponding duck cloth piece.)
  • One upper-front panel
  • One back panel
  • One upper-back panel
  • Two side panels
  • Two interior bands
  • Two zipper panels (Trim each long edge seam allowance from both interfacing pieces before fusing to corresponding duck cloth pieces.)

Fuse the interfacing pieces to each corresponding pattern piece following the manufacturer’s instructions.

From the lining and mediumweight interfacing, cut:

• Two front & back linings
  • Two side panels
  • One front-interior pocket
  • One back-interior pocket
  • One interior pocket
  • One base
  • Two side panels

In the next post, we’ll embroider the front panel and construct the project front and back, including installing a pocket zipper. Stay tuned!

SOURCES

Big Duck Canvas Warehouse provided the 15-ounce navy blue duck fabric: (800) 704-6138, bigduckcanvas.com.

This entry was posted in CME Mystery Sew Along. Bookmark the permalink.

71 Responses to Mystery Sew-Along Part 1: Introduction, Supply List, Free Design & Pattern Download

1. kathy says:

Thanks Jill, back to the cutting table!

2. kathy says:

Sorry to bother you again Jill but have another interfacing question. Have cut heavy weight interfacing and adhered to lining pieces as instructed. I did notice that the base does not get any interfacing, is this correct?

The original post made mention of lightweight fusible interfacing. And the instructions on this post says “Trim the upper and short end seam allowances from both zipper-panel interfacing pieces.” Is it referencing the zipper panel on page 2A/2B. Is this were we are using the lightweight interfacing?

3. Jill says:

No problem. I spoke with the designer and yes, the bottom should be interfaced with heavyweight interfacing.

The Zipper-panel pattern piece is fused with heavyweight interfacing and yes it’s the pattern piece on 2A/2B.

I’ll make note in the post too.

4. kathy says:

Thanks again! Will the lightweight interfacing be used at all on this project?

5. Jackie Burck says:

Now that I have cut all my pieces listed I have questions.
    1. Do all lining pieces get interfaced? Base is not listed to interface.
    2. Does the strap get interfaced?
    3. On front panel that says 1″ perimeter, was I suppose to add the additional 1″before cutting?
    4. On bonding interface- do I cut 1/2 inch off for seam allowance before bonding?
    5. The light fusible interfacing is that for the embroidery parts?

6. Jackie Burck says:

One more question
    I don’t understand what this is telling me “Trim the upper and short end seam allowances from both zipper-panel interfacing pieces.” I don’t see anywhere listed about using interfacing on zipper-panel pieces. There are 4 cut from duck. Is there suppose to be zipper panels cut from lining?

7. Evelyn J. Gonzalez says:

Can someone p.l.e.a.s.e answer my question from 1/10 –
    I’ve studied p. 12 of the pattern tutorial, but can’t quite see how the patterns pieces are “overlapped.” Are the dotted (cutting) lines of 2 different pages lined up exactly & then cut along the dotted lines?

Also, several folks noted that the revised pattern was the same as the initial pattern. Is this straightened out so we can safely download the revised pattern with all the correct pieces?

Thanks,

8. Rosalie says:

Evelyn, I hope this helps. As far as I understand the directions, you line up the red dotted lines (pages are numbered). Tape them together. Then cut out each pattern piece on the black lines (some of those lines are overlapped because the pattern piece is printed across two pages. The front panel is cut out 1 inch larger than the pattern piece both crosswise and lengthwise. If I’m wrong, someone please correct.

9. Evelyn J. Gonzalez says:

Rosalie,

Thanks so much for your very clear answer! I can now begin cutting with confidence.

Really appreciate your response!

10. Carolyn says:

I think the one inch allowance on the front panel is so the piece will fit in hoop for embroidering. Could be wrong but makes sense to me.

11. Carolyn says:

From what I can detect the revised pattern pieces are the same size. Pattern 1G Front Pocket Lining and 1E front panel are labeled differently.
    Carolyn

12. Jill says:

Yes, the pattern pieces are the same, we just re-worded the pattern pieces with a unified wording.

13. Dottie Irvin says:

Am I not looking in the correct place for the February instructions?

14. Carolyn says:

Look on the right for “Archives, February 2016″. It will be there.

15. Elizabeth says:

It is also listed on the right side of this blog page listed as Part 2 under recent posts

16. Dottie Irvin says:

Thanks so much for the help!

17. Elizabeth LaZella says:

I am unsure how to word this very diplomatically – but – the instructions and the pattern download leaves a lot to be discussed, the instructions are not written in a clear precise manner nor are they edited for content before they are posted. Most of the posts I have been reading have been construction and pattern piece problems which leaves me to believe the authors of this Mystery Sew Party need to re-read and re-post all the patterns pieces in a separate forum for this to really work out well for the novice sewer as well as the experienced sewers. I am an expert sewer and if not for that I would be completely confused – and I am confused about one thing – where is the link to enter the sweepstakes without working on the mystery sew out? The magazine states “There you will find the link to register for the sweepstakes, as well as the materials list for the mystery project.” Where is the link – anyone???? Also, my advice for interfacing – is interface anything that will receive stress, straps, bottom etc. and interface with light weight anything that does not receive stress such as the sides or a pocket on the inside of a bag etc. Duck is very heavy cloth in its own so if you do not interface it no problem it still works out well in the long run – if using very light weight fabric use interfacing for added strength.

18. Pam Burris says:

How do I sign up for the contest? I don’t find a page for that.
    I have down loaded all of the patterns and are working on them.
    Would like my name in the pot for drawing

19. Carolyn says:

I agree with Elizabeth La Zella,

This project has been poorly presented. I am usually adept at reading and completing projects. This one requires more effort than should be. I suggest going back to the drawing board and be precise with cross reference to pattern pieces and instructions.

Hopefully, I will not have invested in an incomplete project!

Carolyn

20. Cheryl V says:

Just found this… looks like fun! Thanks for the opportunity!!

21. Val Rule says:

Hi there

Enjoying the project so far only have been “a wee bit frustrated”… I don’t see any “dot” markings on the patterns – I’m trying to following the photos which are really helpful as I’m a visual learner – but not sure if they are ¼”, ½”, or some other measurement.. Can you advise? Thanks for offering this project – it’s really challenging and fun !