Beautiful embellishments for embroidery projects

silk ribbon book1 Beautiful embellishments for embroidery projectsI love hand embroidery, especially silk ribbon embroidery and it’s a beautiful way to embellish garments and accessories like tote bags and purses. It’s also lovely on heirloom projects.

Susan Schrempf’s Simple Silk Ribbon Embroidery by Machine is a fantastic book for lovers of hand and machine embroidery. With this book you can create intricate silk ribbon embroidery that looks completely hand done. Silk ribbon embroidery by machine offers all the beauty but at half the time. Schrempf shows you how with easy techniques that will work with any machine, not just embroidery machines.

What types of ways do you like to embellish your projects? Are you a fan of silk ribbon embroidery, have you done it by hand or machine? I would love to hear the details of your experiences with silk ribbon embroidery!

And, for the winner last week of the quilt block a day calendar it is Kathy! I will be contacting you shortly for your mailing address!

Thanks for entering and commenting!
Jill

This entry was posted in Wednesday Giveaway and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Beautiful embellishments for embroidery projects

1. Debra Mitan says:

I have done this but it has been a very long time ago, the results are lovely.

2. Brenda Melahn says:

My experience with silk ribbon is so limited — limited to practicing while watching Beverly Sheldrick on our local PBS Martha Pullen show.

3. Myrna Goddard says:

I have never done silk ribbon embroidery and usually try to stay away from hand work, however this might be worth trying. Certainly is beautiful in the photo.

4. Priscilla says:

I would love to learn to silk ribbon embroidery. It looks so beautiful.

5. Merron Kay Skramstad says:

I’ve never done silk ribbon embroidery butwould love to learn. It’s always fun to learn new techniques.

6. Fiona Day says:

I have never done silk ribbon embroidery but would love to learn. I find the idea of using my sewing machine to do ribbon embroidery quite exciting!

7. Moarilyn Weiss says:

We could all use a little “Think Spring” in or lives right now. This books looks lovely and just what the doctor ordered.

8. Kathleen E says:

I love to hand embroider as it will be an heirloom for all to cherish when one is gone. But machine embroidery is challenging and I am currently fascinated with it.
    Perhaps I will try ribbon embroidery after my broken wrist heals and all the pins and hardware are removed. Embroidery will always be apart of culture no matter what the technique.

9. DonnaN says:

I just use machine embroidery. Interested in seeing how this is done by machine.

10. gina Butler says:

I have posted some FREE silk ribbon by sewing machine lessons on YouTube:

11. Nancy says:

I used to do silk ribbon embroidery 20+ years ago. Now I embellish my projects with machine embroidery plus fabric gems and buttons.

12. Mary Mac says:

I love adding beads to most of my projects.

13. Karen Poole says:

I LOVE silk ribbon embroidery and have bought some supplies and a panel to try to learn it and I also bought some kits for some great pins but would so love to also learn to do this by machine!!! I haven’t started the hand embroidery yet, I just got the last of the supplies that I needed at Road to California this past week!

14. Deborah Snyder says:

I did ribbon embroidery a long time ago. I put it on sweatshirts, jeans, tote bags, baby items, etc.. I would love to learn how to do this by a sewing machine. Sounds quick and easy and I love the dimensional beauty of silk ribbon embroidery.

15. Kris Reindl says:

My daughter & I went to the Original Sewing & Quilt Expo in Cleveland 3 years ago and took a class with a lovely lady who showed us how to do silk ribbon embroidery on an evening bag. This reminds me that I didn’t finish the project. Will have to try it with my embroidery machine. I know JoAnn’s used to carry the silk ribbon several years ago but I don’t remember seeing it lately. Will have to look again to use it either by hand or machine.

16. Chris says:

I made a few flowers years ago.I love new techniques -can’t wait to try it!

17. kbo says:

I never would have considered using a machine to create this dimensional work. This opens up new sewing options for me.