Light and airy chiffon drapes beautifully. It is most frequently woven from silk, polyester or rayon fibers. Adding embroidery to chiffon is a challenge. Often the fabric mars or designs turn out bunched up. Consider the following tips when planning a sheer project with chiffon:
1) Stabilizer: Use a water-soluble stabilizer and topper. Tear away will mar the fabric during removal. Cut away will eliminate the fabric’s sheerness.
2) Thread: Reach for silk thread when embroidering silk chiffon and all-purpose thread when embroidering rayon or polyester chiffon.
3) Designs: Select lightweight and airy designs. A low stitch count will prevent the fabric from bunching up.
4) Needle: Use a fine sharp needle such as a 75/11. Dull needles will easily snag the chiffon.
5) Washing: Always hand-wash chiffon and hang it to dry. Washing machines are too rough on this delicate fabric.