Add extra sparkle to buttons by brushing a light coat of clear-drying glue over them and sprinkling with art glitter.
- Heavy art paper or cotton fabric
- Cut-away stabilizer
- Embroidery, bobbin and monofilament thread
- Temporary spray adhesive
- Size 65/9 needle
- Variety of scrapbook papers and card stock
- Variety of ribbons up to 5⁄8"-wide
- Eyelets and appropriate setting tool
- Glue and foam dots
- 11 flower-shaped sew-through buttons
- 11 sead beads
- Hand sewing needle
- Glass jar with lid (our sample is 23" diameter x 8" tall)
- Art glitter
- Embroidery designs no larger than 21⁄2" diameter and alphabet or lettering software of your choice
- Optional: Personal paper trimmer, clear-drying glue, paint brush
- Hoop cut-away stabilizer, spray with temporary adhesive and adhere a 4" square of art paper or fabric.
- Embroider a design. Un-hoop and cut away the stabilizer close to the design on the paper wrong side. Set aside. t Repeat to embroider four more designs.
- Using small, sharp scissors carefully cut around the designs leaving a small border of paper or fabric in place.
- Use the alphabet or lettering software of your choice to spell out “bunny treats.” (Our sample letters are approximately 3⁄4" tall.) Hoop cut-away stabilizer spray with temporary adhesive and adhere a piece of art paper or fabric the size of the inside hoop perimeter. Embroider the lettering. Un-hoop and cut away the stabilizer.
- Trim the paper or fabric down to the size desired. (Our sample is 13⁄4" x 31⁄4".)
- Use the paper trimmer to cut 3" and 3 1⁄4" square pieces of coordinating paper and a 31⁄2" square of card stock. Cut a set for each design.
- Layer three squares; adhere with glue dots. Adhere a design on top, using dimensional foam dots if desired (this will leave a slightly raised effect).
- Apply eyelets to each side, centered and 1⁄4" in from the edge, using the appropriate tools.
- Center a square on the jar front and adhere with glue dots. Repeat to adhere four more squares centered and evenly spaced around the jar.
- Thread ribbon through the eyelets and tie into a bow to join the squares.
- Sew a bead to each flower button center.
- Use glue dots to adhere the buttons at the upper corner of each square.
- Round the corners of the “bunny treats” tag and back with a rectangle of coordinating card stock cut slightly larger; adhere with glue dots. Round the corners on the card stock.
- Apply a grommet and flower button. Cut leaves freehand from card stock, if desired, for the flower.
- Rub the lettering rectangle with art glitter. Note: The texture of the art paper will allow the glitter to stick without glue.
- Tie coordinating ribbons around the jar lid. Thread a piece of ribbon through the tag grommet and tie to the lid.
- Fill with candy.
Annette Bailey is the editor of Creative Machine Embroidery magazine.
All designs: Embroidables, Easter Designs Collection Lettering: Husqvarna Viking, font Chance
Card stock from Michael Miller Memories.