Stenciling is a fast, fun and easy technique to add to your list of fabric-enhancing skills. Combine stenciling with embroidery as we did in “Stencil Style, Part 1 of 2” (page 62) in the January/February issue of Creative Machine Embroidery to add extra flair to an average pair of jeans. Try this technique using our step-by-step instructions.
Can't find CME in your area? Order a copy online at www.sewingdistrict.com/store
- One pair of ready-made jeans
- Cut-away stabilizer
- Embroidery, bobbin and sewing thread
- Removable marker
- Temporary spray adhesive
- Stencils of your choice
- Stencil paint
- Stencil brush
- Embroidery designs of your choice
Preparation & Stenciling
- Print or stitch a template of the chosen embroidery designs. Our sample features multiple designs in two hoopings.
- Mark the design placement at the outside of the design areas using removable marker. This will be used as a guide for stencil placement.
- Choose the stencil pattern and paint desired. Using the stencil brush stencil the background areas desired. Don't worry about embroidery that will cover up any of the stenciling. It will become part of the ambiance. Beginning at the lower edge of the stencil design, carefully work your way up. Let the stenciling dry at least 24 hours.
- Open the side seam to prepare for embroidery.
- Using the templates, mark the design placement over the stenciling.
- Hoop cut-away stabilizer, spray with temporary adhesive and adhere the jeans, beginning at the lower edge. Pin outside the embroidery area for extra stability.
- Embroider the desired designs. Un-hoop and remove the excess stabilizer.
- Use the stencil and paint to add any other accents around the outside of the embroidery motif, such as the large dots in our sample. Let dry completely. Check the directions on the package to find out how to set the paint. Many paints need to be heat-set when used on fabric.
Oklahoma Embroidery Supply & Design, Pack 12090, designs Fp943, Fp955, Fp956
Plaid Simply Stencils (#17464ABULK, #17464BBULK)
Delta Stencil Magic Paint Crème (Cottage Blue)