Upload your version of the Spooky Setting project on the Sewing District Spooky Setting group for your chance to win a fabulous prize! The contest ends October 31, 2010.
Set the scene for Halloween with a celebratory table topper. Use Halloween-themed designs to complete the look.
- 1 yard of orange felt
- tear-away stabilizer
- double-sided fusible web
- embroidery software with editing capabilities
- sharp embroidery scissors
- removable fabric marker
- thread: all-purpose, bobbin & embroidery
- designs: spider web & witch
- Cut nine 5"-diameter circles and nine 8" squares from the felt.
- Open a new page in the software program. Open the spider web design onto the page. Resize the design so it’s 5" wide, and then save it in the appropriate machine format. Repeat to resize and save the witch design.
- Find the center of one square by folding it in half lengthwise and widthwise with right sides together. Unfold; mark the center using a removable fabric marker.
- Load the spider web design onto the machine. Hoop the square with a piece of tear-away stabilizer. Place the hoop on the machine and embroider the design.
- Once the embroidery is complete, remove the hoop from the machine and the fabric from the hoop. Tear away the stabilizer. Trim away the excess fabric just beyond the design perimeter, being careful not to cut the stitches. Repeat to embroider and trim seven additional squares.
- Load the witch design onto the machine. Hoop the remaining square with a piece of tear-away stabilizer. Place the hoop on the machine and embroider the design.
- Once the embroidery is complete, remove the hoop from the machine and the fabric from the hoop. Tear away the stabilizer. Trim away the excess fabric just beyond the design perimeter, being careful not to cut the stitches.
TIP: Use transparent tape in lieu of pins to secure the abutted circle edges, if desired.
- Using double-sided fusible web, fuse one 5"-diameter circle to one embroidered circle with wrong sides together, following the manufacturer’s instructions. Repeat to fuse each remaining circle.
- Place the circles right side up on a flat work surface. Position six spider web circles around the witch circle, abutting the edges; pin (A).
- Position one remaining spider web circle along the table-topper left edge; pin. Position the remaining spider web circle along the tabletopper right edge; pin (B)
- Thread the machine with all-purpose thread. Zigzag stitch the abutted circle edges to secure.
Designs Spider Web & Witch: Amazing Designs, #ADP-70J, All Hallows Eve; amazingdesigns.com
Baby Lock provided the Ellisimo embroidery and sewing machine and tear-away stabilizer: babylock.com.
Designer's Gallery provided Custom WorksWorks II: designersgallerysoftware.com.