Transform an ordinary sweatshirt into an extraordinary jacket. Add fringe, buttons and other decorative embellishments to make the jacket one of a kind.
- ready-made sweatshirt
- 1⁄2 yard of faux suede
- 1⁄2 yard of coordinating fabric
- tear-away stabilizer
- printable fusible web (See “Sources.”)
- thread: all-purpose, bobbin, embroidery
- optional embellishments: buttons, fringe, zipper
- appliqué embroidery design(s)
- Fold the sweatshirt in half lengthwise. Unfold and cut open the sweatshirt along the center-front foldline. Cut off the ribbing from the sweatshirt lower edge and cuffs.
- From the coordinating fabric, cut six 7"x10" rectangles for the appliqués. Make sure the rectangles are larger than the chosen embroidery design.
- Open the chosen design on the machine’s screen. Copy the design five times, rotating the designs as desired. Print each design onto a sheet of printable fusible web (A). Cut out each design, leaving 1⁄4" around the design outer edges.
A Print design onto a printable fusible web sheet.
- Position one design over one appliqué rectangle wrong side. Fuse the design in place, following the manufacturer’s instructions. Cut out the design from the fabric along the design outer edges.
- Repeat to fuse and cut the remaining designs from the remaining appliqué rectangles.
- Peel back the paper from each design wrong side, exposing the adhesive (B). Position one appliqué approximately 11⁄2" from the jacket right side lower edge and 31⁄2" from the center-front left edge. Hoop the jacket and a piece of tear-away stabilizer and place the hoop on the machine. Embroider the design. Once the embroidery is complete, tear away the stabilizer.
B Peel back paper release exposing adhesive.
- Repeat to embroider the remaining designs 31⁄2" from the jacket center-front right edge, leaving at least 1" between each design.
Use 1⁄4" seam allowances unless otherwise noted.
- Try on the jacket. If the jacket is too large, adjust the side seams to the desired measurements.
- Measure the length of the jacket center-front opening. Add 1⁄2" to the measurement; record. From the faux suede, cut two strips 4" wide bythe recorded measurement.
- With the strip right side facing the jacket wrong side, align one strip long edge to one jacket centerfront long edge; stitch. Fold the strip to the jacket right side. Fold the strip long and short raw edges 1⁄4" to the wrong side; pin. Topstitch close to each folded edge. Finger-press the strip into place.
- Repeat to stitch the remaining strip to the opposite jacket center-front long edge.
- Measure the sleeve circumferences. Add 1⁄4" to the measurements; record. From the faux suede, cut two strips 6" wide by the recorded
- Fold each strip in half widthwise with right sides together; stitch the short edges to form cuffs. With the cuff right side facing the sleeve
wrong side, match the cuff upper edge to the sleeve lower edge; stitch. Fold the cuff to the jacket right side.
- Repeat to stitch the remaining cuff to the opposite sleeve lower edge.
- Measure the jacket lower-edge perimeter. Add 1⁄2" to the measurement; record. From the faux suede, cut one strip 2" wide by
the recorded measurement.
- Fold the strip in half lengthwise with wrong sides together; unfold. Align the strip foldline with the jacket lower edge; pin. Fold over each strip upper edge 1⁄4" to the wrong side; pin. Fold over each strip short edge 1⁄4" to the wrong side, aligning each short edge to nthe jacket side edges; pin. Topstitch each strip upper and short edge close to the fold.
- Stitch fringe to the designs and jacket collar, if desired. Stitch a button closure or insert a zipper along the jacket center-front opening, if desired.
Flower: RNK Distributing, Jenny Haskins’ Floral Appliqué Magic, design # fm02, fm03, fm15 & fm16; (877) 331-0034, rnkdistributing.com
RNK Distributing provided Web Magic (printable fusible web sheets): (877) 331-0034, rnkdistributing.com.