Dimensional Appliqué Pillow
Flower appliqués with fun button centers and beaded trim make this pillow stand out.
- Cut a 9" square of tone-on-tone fabric for the center.
- Cut four 6" x 15" and two 12" x 19" rectangles of the dot fabric.
- Six 6" squares of stripe fabric.
- Hoop a layer of water-soluble soluble stabilizer. Spray with temporary adhesive and adhere a 6" square of stripe fabric. Repeat for the back. (You’ll sandwich the stabilizer between the two layers.)
- Embroider a flower appliqué. Note: Carefully cut away both the upper and under layers of fabric before completing the satin stitch. Always use the smallest hoop for the design.
- Repeat to embroider two more flower appliqués. Make the center appliqué smaller, if desired.
- Trim away the excess stabilizer. Soak the remainder away; let dry flat.
- Sew a 6" x15" rectangle to one side of the tone-on-tone square, aligning the 6" edge with the upper edge of the square. Continue sewing the remaining 6" x 15" rectangles to the square log cabin style to make a 19" square.
- Hand sew the flowers to the tone-on-tone square in the arrangement desired, using a button at the center of each flower. Back larger flowers with another button for stability.
- Use the zipper foot to baste the beaded trim to the pillow top perimeter.
- Turn under 1/2" and 1/2" again along one 19" edge on each of the 12" x 19" rectangles.
- Right sides together, layer the pillow top and the two rectangles with turned under edges, aligning raw edges.
- Sew around the perimeter, being careful not to catch the trim in the seam. Turn right side out.
- Insert the 18" pillow form.